Welcome

Trying to write one's family history can be rather daunting, to say the least. Even more so when you're dyslexic and have poor gramar skills. It can be quite exasperating trying to put some simblance of order to the tons of information I've accumulated since I began this journey while living in England in 2004. Should I write a book, use Facebook, use a genealogy website or write a blog? There are so many options, but no matter which avenue(s) I choose there will always be a family member who will not be able to access portions of my collection and research. What to do, what to do? Do I do more than one? Yes. This blog will be my avenue of sharing information, and feelings, as I progress through a mirad of projects such as writing a book and updating my tree on Ancestry.com. This, I believe, will also allow for sharing of information quicker. Though they are all different in how they share information, the end goal is to be the story teller for my family. To tell the stories of generations that came before me, who still walk with me and for the generations yet to be. I welcome your comments, questions and inputs.

06 April 2012

Weigandt Connection

Just received an email from a distant relative. How cool is that?! The connection appears to be a sister of Jacob Weigant, my great grandfather. Not only did a brother travel to America but apparently a sister did too. She married before coming to the states and that is probably why I missed her on the passenger list. Jacob's brother, Oswald, was denied entry into the US so he got on a boat headed for Argentina. More to come.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Terry,
    I am the one who contacted you, and I solved the mystery of the two Jacob Weigandts. I am not sure if one changed his last name enough to have some differences, especially since their birthdates were within six months of each other.

    I followed up with my aunt, who remembers Jack Weigant (note the spelling change) coming to stay with them and with her other aunt several times through the years. It appears that my Jacob Weigandt (Jack Weigant) remained single. He worked at various jobs and moved around a lot. He spent a large part of his adult life in San Francisco, CA, which is where he died. But for some unknown reason, I believe he is buried in Fort Morgan, Colorado? I am wondering if this is where his missing half-sister, Elizabeth Nagel (not my great-grandmother, Elisabeth Weigandt Nagel of Lincoln; they were half-sisters). I have had a hard time tracking her down.

    Anyhow, just wanted to let you know! Glad you have had an easier time. My guy was VERY elusive, but I persevered! Say a prayer I can find his sister now!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete