Welcome

Trying to write one's family history can be rather daunting, to say the least. Even more so when you're dyslexic and have poor gramar skills. It can be quite exasperating trying to put some simblance of order to the tons of information I've accumulated since I began this journey while living in England in 2004. Should I write a book, use Facebook, use a genealogy website or write a blog? There are so many options, but no matter which avenue(s) I choose there will always be a family member who will not be able to access portions of my collection and research. What to do, what to do? Do I do more than one? Yes. This blog will be my avenue of sharing information, and feelings, as I progress through a mirad of projects such as writing a book and updating my tree on Ancestry.com. This, I believe, will also allow for sharing of information quicker. Though they are all different in how they share information, the end goal is to be the story teller for my family. To tell the stories of generations that came before me, who still walk with me and for the generations yet to be. I welcome your comments, questions and inputs.

02 December 2011

Ben Nelson Graham - Handmade Crafts

1 comment:

  1. Ben Graham was my father in-law. In 1967 he was diagnosed with an aggressive malignant melanoma in his leg. That was at a time when a diagnosis of cancer was pretty much a death sentence. He had the entire lymph system in his leg removed surgically, and was treated with new and definitely experimental chemotherapy. While convalescing, he needed something to do to pass the time. He took up needlecraft. As it turns out, he was quite skillful at stitchery. He did needlepoint, latch hook rugs, etc. and completed many projects. We have several of his projects including his very first needlepoint.

    Thankfully, Ben won his battle with cancer, the first person I knew well who beat cancer. He had really enjoyed the stitchery, and as he got older he discovered that stitching helped him keep his fingers nimble. So in the evenings after retirement, he often worked on projects while watching TV or while his wife Leona, a voracious reader, read. He liked stitching holiday ornaments and giving them to special people. Thanks for sharing this photo highlighting some beautiful work done by a very wonderful man.

    Ben lived another 36 years following his battle with cancer passing away in 2003 at the age of 87.

    Anne Kolb Graham

    ReplyDelete