Welcome

Trying to write one's family history can be rather daunting, to say the least. Even more so when you're dyslexic and have poor gramar skills. It can be quite exasperating trying to put some simblance of order to the tons of information I've accumulated since I began this journey while living in England in 2004. Should I write a book, use Facebook, use a genealogy website or write a blog? There are so many options, but no matter which avenue(s) I choose there will always be a family member who will not be able to access portions of my collection and research. What to do, what to do? Do I do more than one? Yes. This blog will be my avenue of sharing information, and feelings, as I progress through a mirad of projects such as writing a book and updating my tree on Ancestry.com. This, I believe, will also allow for sharing of information quicker. Though they are all different in how they share information, the end goal is to be the story teller for my family. To tell the stories of generations that came before me, who still walk with me and for the generations yet to be. I welcome your comments, questions and inputs.

19 June 2011

Lloyd George Mallette (1914-1961)



After many years of looking for my grandfather, a cousin that I found through Ancestry.com sent me the above picture of him the end of last month. Her grandmother, Lenora, was Lloyd's sister. The date is not know, but it is assumed that it is between 1935 and 1940.  I also received his baby foot print from when he was born. I felt a rush of excitement to see him for the first time, some would call it being giddy.  But then I felt, and still do, an extreme amount of sadness because my mother never knew what he looked like. My grandmother, Viola Louise Mays Mallette Timm (1924-2007), never talked about him and never had any photos of him. To my mom he was just a name on her birth certificate.  I've spent six years researching and looking for him. Before my mom died, I was able to tell her he was in the Army Air Force.  He met and married my grandmother when he was station in Biloxi, Ms. They had two children, my mother and her brother George Mallette (1944-2002).  And, that he died the month after my parents were married in Hawaii. I was able to tell her where he was buried (link included with this post), that he died with only three years of high school education and he was working as a gas and oil man that never remarried. When I looked at him for the first time the first person I saw was my mother and I'm amazed at how much my brothers look like him. I think my brother Steve more so.  I take more after my dad's mother's side of the family..short round Russian/German heritage...but now I know where we kids got the pointy chin from.  I can only pray that she has met up with him in heaven at that they are making up for lost time.

No comments:

Post a Comment