Welcome

Trying to write one's family history can be rather daunting, to say the least. Even more so when you're dyslexic and have poor gramar skills. It can be quite exasperating trying to put some simblance of order to the tons of information I've accumulated since I began this journey while living in England in 2004. Should I write a book, use Facebook, use a genealogy website or write a blog? There are so many options, but no matter which avenue(s) I choose there will always be a family member who will not be able to access portions of my collection and research. What to do, what to do? Do I do more than one? Yes. This blog will be my avenue of sharing information, and feelings, as I progress through a mirad of projects such as writing a book and updating my tree on Ancestry.com. This, I believe, will also allow for sharing of information quicker. Though they are all different in how they share information, the end goal is to be the story teller for my family. To tell the stories of generations that came before me, who still walk with me and for the generations yet to be. I welcome your comments, questions and inputs.

23 September 2010

Logtown, Hancock County, Mississippi

My mother's grandparents - Henry Laurence Mays and Bertha Snow Mays both worked in Logtown. Bertha was the postmistress in the post office.

This old town is located just south of NASA’s Stennis Space Center east of the Pearl River and south of Picayune. On a 1938 map, it is shown north of the junction of present I-10/SH 607. (GBS)

Logtown was established in the early 1800s.  This once booming town actually got its name from the logging industry and supplied logs to New Orleans.  The unnamed location was known as “The Log Town,” and the name stuck. The town operated along the Pearl River as part of large chain of lumber mill industries, which boomed after the Civil War and became one of the largest lumber industries in the world. With the coming of the Great Depression, many of the mills closed, except one that was located on the Pearl River at Gainesville. The town was alive until it was sold by the state to NASA in 1961. In the end, Logtown and five of its neighboring towns were bulldozed into the ground, sparing only the cemeteries and roads.
 Contributed by Patrick Duhe (Nov 04, 2003)

No comments:

Post a Comment